Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y
Clive Mitchell

Default HELP: halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S

In message . com,
KevinGPO writes
I need some help and advice. I just moved into a new expensive flat. I
am trying to save money as I am low on income. I noticed that my entire
flat is illuminated by halogen light bulbs. Every single light bulb
socket in the ceilings are halogen bulb sockets. I know that halogen
light bulbs uses 10x more electricity/energy than conventional/old
light bulbs. Does anyone know the easiest way to replace the halogen
bulb sockets to be able to use the conventional/old light bulbs? Does
there exist a convertor?

To save some money I have taken all but one halogen bulb out from each
room. However I still don't like the sight of halogen light bulbs. I
prefer installing "energy saving" light bulbs but I do not want to use
floor/table lamps. There are now holes with dangling wires from where
the halogen light bulbs used to be. The wires are the halogen sockets.

Halogen lamps are MORE efficient than common lamps but less efficient
than compact fluorescent lamps.

What voltage and wattage are the existing lamps? What type of base does
it have?

If these are ordinary 110/240 volt lamps (depending on where you live)
then you could replace the lamps that are most likely to be lit for long
periods of tine with compact fluorescent.

Heating or air conditioning will account for a much greater cost than
lighting. If the weathers cold turn the heating down and get a woolly
jumper. If it's hot, turn the air conditioning to a warmer setting and
walk about in a pair of underpants.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com