Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Vinyl Windows - Am I getting ripped off?

kwest wrote:
We have a contractor who is installing new windows for our house. I has
originally requested Jeld-Wen or Milgard double pane vinyl windows. The
contractor then told me that they prefer LBL windows...and I trusted
him..however when the windows were delivered, they were Empire Pacific
Windows. I asked about this and the contractor then said they no longer
use LBL windows as they had some problems with them... Well they
installed the windows, but it seems that our house is even colder than
when we had the aluminum windows and the sound (we live near a busy
road) is even louder, even though the contractor claimed that the new
windows they installed would muffle the sound.

Are Empire Pacific 5200 Series vinyl windows comperable to Jeld-Wen and
Milgard windows? I checked with our local Home Depot and was told that
they are cheaper windows (about 25%), but since they sell Jeld-Wen
figured they may be a bit biased.

Thank You

Can't tell you about the Empire Pacific windows,
but I installed Jeld-Wen windows in my house to
replace the original aluminum framed double glass
windows. The Jeld-Wen windows were double pane
lowE, argon filled vinyl windows. The reduction
in sound transmission was surprising and
immediately noticeable and the reduction in heat
transfer was so great that I decided to not
reinstall the storm windows that I had used on the
north side windows.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if you
can't readily detect a noise reduction or a
reduction in heat loss, your window are really
pitiful... OTOH, it maybe poor installation that
didn't thoroughly seal the window frames to the house.

Since you didn't specify a window you had
confidence, you probably will just have to live
with it. To get any kind of relief you would
probably have to prove that the windows were not
installed correctly.