Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Light fixture wattage limit and compact fluorescent bulbs

yes, but: the widely available compact flourescent bulbs can be used in
open indoor fixtures. at our house we put them into 4 and 5 bulb
ceiling fan fixtures and really brighten up the kitchen and office.
they are not for enclosed fixtures they overheat. read the installation
restrictions on your particular bulb in fine print before you buy.
other types including outdoor styles are available at higher price
ranges. see interesting energy saving stuff like i bought at:
http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php