Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Thermostatic Mixing Valve, or a coupla' check valves and a ball valve?

You're missing several things. The boiler temp is going to fluctuate. If you
set it low, people will complain about not enough hot water. If you set it
high enough, there's a chance of a little kid getting burnt, and you getting
sued. For a licensed day care, they probably have to be inspected, and that
should be one of the things they check. Don't try to be cheap. There's a
reason for those industrial type tempering valves.

"Tim and Steph" wrote in message
We have a oil-fired boiler that generates both the hot water and the heat
for the house. My wife is opening a daycare, and per state regulations,

we
need to have the hot water at the tap be 120 degrees or less. While I'm
sure it's possible to regulate the temp of the entire system, I can see
problems with simply turning the whole thing down. (e.g. 20 below zero
nights)

So, I'm thinking there must be some kind of valve that does this sorta

thing
automagically. Turns out, I'm right - I did a little research, and lo and
behold, I found "Thermostatic Mixing Valves". The perfect thing for my
application!

Then, I saw the price - they're pretty dear! The cheapest I could find

was
right around $100, which seems exorbitant for what it is. Which got me to
thinking - why can't I simply throw in a couple of check valves, and a

ball
valve that controls how much cold gets mixed with the hot? The sum total

of
the parts would be about 20 bucks. What am I missing here?