Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS!

HeyBub wrote:
If it IS the motor, more than half the repair bill will be the markup on the
motor. See if you can get the replacement motor yourself and pay for only
the labor to replace it.

I just went through this, and that matches my problem. The machine was
dead. Later, I played with it some more; it hummed, but no movement.
The motor was very warm. I removed it, and it was somehow bound up and
I had to use a pliers to turn the shaft by hand. Oh, that's not good.

I surfed around, and found a replacement motor for my Amana (Maytag?)
at
pcappliancerepair.com

This motor came with a new pully, and the motor switch/connector as
well.

The motor and a new belt were $118 and change. I chose 2-day air for
shipping, but they emailed and said that it was too heavy, and offered
2-day land for even less money. So I said sure! (Local repair shop
wanted $165 for the motor.)

New motor works and I have no complaints. The repair was pretty easy.

Note: As long as you have it apart, remember to check ALL WIRES in the
machine. In my dryer, I once found that the wiring insulation had been
scraped off by some sheet metal, and had actually been arcing for some
time. Scary...