Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

In article ,
lid says...

"Keith Williams" wrote in message
T...
In article .com,
says...
Don Young wrote:
Troubleshooting with a digital voltmeter is also not a good idea; a
test lamp is much better.

Why isn't a multimeter a good idea? He's measuring volts, not current,
so it won't blow the meter.

Digital multimeters have a very high input impedance and can read
high values on open circuits because of the capacitive coupling
between wires. A test lamp is a low impedance device so any
capacitive coupling becomes insignificant. If you really need to
know what the voltage is, use both (load the circuit and read with
the meter).

A test lamp is a good idea. He could also pick up one of those outlet
testers for a few dollars.

A "three-light tester" should be in everyone's toolbox. Another
tool I've found to be quite valuable is a non-contact voltage
probe.

--
Keith

Hi Keith,

Good advice as usual....I am assuming you are the same Keith that posts over
at alt.engineering.electrical.

Yep, the same. I've noticed you back around the Usenet for a
while. ;-)

Hope you had a great Christmas season and all is well out here in Central
Florida....Mac

Great holiday here! We've been visiting my mother (92YO) In
Central Illinois for the last week and are on our way back tomorrow
and Friday. Long drive (1100mi.). ugh

--
Keith