Posted to ba.consumers,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Don

Default Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS!

wrote:
I have scheduled an appointment with an appliance repairman but would
like your opinion about the following.

Age of washing machine: 8 years (purchased in March, 1998)
Initial purchase price: About $800
Usage profile: 7 to 10 loads per week (About 3000
loads of clothes have been washed; yes, I am a geek and have a tally
mark going...)
Repairs-to-date: Just one repair, a leaky water pump was
replaced in January 2003, $75 parts + $45 labor.

Now, all of a sudden, the washer is taking LONG naps!

When I start the washer, it runs fine for a few minutes, then, on its
own, shuts down or sleeps (door lock indicator remains on). After about
5 to 10 minutes, it starts again and runs for 5 to 7 minutes. This
pattern continues until the washing is done.

It is going through all the wash, agitate, rinse, ..., sping, fast
spin, etc. cycles. It is also using all the soap, bleach, softener, hot
water and cold water, properly. When the washing is finished, there's
no difference in the quality of the wash. All settings for wash, extra
rinse, etc. are working fine. I have opened the top & back covers, and
there's no blockage of the vents near the fan. There's no burnt smell
indicating any motor burn-out or anything.

Looks like a sensor or timer malfunction.

Q1. Has anyone seen this behavior on thier Frigidaire or any other
front loading washing machine?

Q2. The machine has 2 years parts+labor warranty; 5 years parts-only
warranty; and 25 years (!) drum-only warranty. I feel GUILTY about
throwing and buying a new machine, when 99% of it is fully functional.
At the same time, it probably does not make sense to pay $300 or so to
repair it. Any guesses on what it might cost?

Q3. I called Frigidaire and their response: call a servicrepairman. Any
tips for furtehr diagnostics? I have made simple repairs to some home
appliances in the past (microwave, stove elements; electric oven,
etc.), but a washing machine seems like intersection of electronics +
electrical + mechnaical -- so it may be out of my league. Any tips for
further diagnostics?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry, don't have an answer for Q1 or Q2.
Q3. Try this place
http://www.repairclinic.com