Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it reasonable to demand a contractor's estimate in writing?

Bubba
Dec 28, 5:50 pm show options

"Nonsense my ass. Any judge finding a legitimate contractor doing work
without something in writing will have a field day with that
contractor."

Toller is right. These cases wind up in court all the time. A written
contract is an absolute requirement for a few things, real estate being
one of them. For a home wiring job, it's certainly a good idea for
everyone's benefit to have a written contract. But absent a written
contract, you can still have a verbal contract. And if these two
parties went ahead with this job, that's exactly what you would have.
This stuff winds up in court all the time. And if the contractor has a
witness and the homeowner doesn't, guess who's likely to win. And if
the judge can't decide who to believe, he will still likely award what
he believes to be a fair value for the job.Why anyone would think a
tradesman deserves to be stiffed, is beyond me. It's not like there
aren't lots of shyster homeowner's around too, that are looking for a
deal and then wind up trying to cut a better one when the work is done.