Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Stropping

I have been thinking about expanding my sharpening. I currently have a
waterstone with what I think is a 1200 grit side and 6000 grit side (It was
so long ago that I bought the thing). I'm pretty happy with the results. I
can shave hairs and all. Am I missing anything by never having tried
stropping as a final step?

Yes!

If so, whts best for basic chisel, iron and lathe tools? Flat, powerstrop?
Does a powerstrop have to be leather or felt? Why not just turn a disk of
MDF and charge that with compound?
Thanks,
Steve

Actually Woodcraft.com just came up with that exact product, it should work
(in mdf blocks). but I wouldn't trust it for flattening a back, considering the
possibility of running the blade into the mdf. I think a steel Kanaban is the right
idea for flattening, all around.

But... I do use a leather strop of horse butt hide, just rests on a piece of plywood
and charged with Lee Valley green (0.5 micron) on one half and cheap blue emery
on the other half, as a starter. I use rendered beef fat boiled from chopped up
tallow, rubbed into the leather as a media for holding the grits, you only need a
very small amount at a time.

I think horse is not the best idea, too thin and soft. I would recommend thick
strapping hide from the beef industry as long as it is smooth with no niks, very
tough. Think "saddlery".

It works incredibly well, and if you use a micro bevel the strop will round it to
a safe degree. I cought myself with that one, and I pivot every joint from shoulder
to wrist to keep that bevel flat as possible on the leather. It will take it way beyond
6000 grit quite well, and you will find a micro hard bur there, not the kind that
builds up and breaks off, but like a razor. But takes a bit of "work", in which case,
you can make your own "wheel strop" for the drill press, and on that you can use
both the sides and the flat top. Lowest speed!

http://www.handamerican.com/ has some interesting things I havn't tried yet.

....hope this helps,

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker