Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Cutting acrylic

Hello all,

I am making a couple of parts from cast acrylic, with a "large" run[*]
probably going to happen in the near future. Rough cutting was more
trouble than I remember, probably because of my cheap Craftsman buzz saw.

The main problem with the cutting was that the plastic melted and
partially re-attached. Some repeat passes with some cooling breaks
removed enough of the excess that it finally separated. Am I correct to
think that a bandsaw will eject the material and (largely?) avoid the
problem? Is there a preferred speed and tpi to try on the buzz saw?

Thanks!

Bill

[*] that means more than five sets of them