Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Contactor/relay repair question

According to JohnF :
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:08:41 GMT, MOP CAP
wrote:

[ ... ]

In the past I have made a new shading coil from 14 or 12 ga. copper
wire silver soldered together and forced back into the slot on the face
of the solenoid. If yours dosen't have a slot you may still be able to
put Cu wire through the holes and with a micro torch silver solder the
ends. I don't think regular solder would hold up.

[ ... ]

The copper goodies are in there but broken. I remember something about
them helping to stop relays from buzzing and was thinking about making
some replacements from copper wire just as you suggest. does it have
to be a continuous loop or can it be open and just crimped in the slot
of the armature?

It has to be a continuous loop. It has to be a very *low*
resistance shorted turn. It shifts the phase of *part* of the pole in the
solenoid, so when the main part drops to zero magnetic field during the
cycles, there is some pull from the phase-shifted part to keep it from
starting to release.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564