Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

Default air compresser control

"Rex B" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
"Dick" wrote in message
m...

Anyone here have any good luck getting good, new on/off controls for a
portable air compressor? I've got a Black Max 5 hp compressor that has
been very dependable since 1994. About 2 1/2 years ago the on/off
control went bad. The electrical contacts finally burned up. I got a new
one from http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/ . It looked identical, kicks
in at 80 psi and off at 125psi. All seems good except these things don't
last. In the last 2.5 years I've replaced this unit 3 times and now it
is bad again and hasn't been on for six months. The points burn up and
start sticking together so that the compressor never shuts off and I'm
afraid there's going to be a fire as the motor gets pretty hot after a
few hours of running.
Are there any better units out there?
Dick

--

Furnas makes good contactors. The problem might be elsewhere though, I
would check the compressor with an amprobe.

I second that. After replacing one years ago, including adaptation for a
different design, and at a cost of about $50, my compressor still did not
work. That's when I discovered the big red Reset button on the motor. It
had been painted over with the green paint that covered everything.

His is apparently working but blowing through contactors. Unless the ones
he's using are complete garbage and underrated, they shouldn't be burning up
that fast.