Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Is it reasonable to demand a contractor's estimate in writing?

"Bubba " ReMoVe wrote in message
On 28 Dec 2005 12:08:19 -0800, "Yank_fan_2965"
wrote:

Quick question. I am going to remodel my attic. I have yet to install
the knee walls and the framing necessary prior to the installation of
the electrical components. I want to get a firm quote on the electrical
before I proceed with the framing. I got an estimate from an
electirician to do all of the electrical, bring addn'l lines up from
the basement etc. Several days after he visited my home he gave me a
verbal estimate of the total cost over the phone. No real details were
included. I then asked him to provide me with a written estimate. He
declined. He said he wanted to wait until he was ready to start the
job. I feel that he should be able to provide a written estimate of the
costs now. Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks

Hey, let him "have at it". If he doesnt want to give you a written
estimate, he may be working for you for free. He says $3000,....you
say $2000. Without his estimate in writing no judge will grant him a
thing.
Bubba

Nonsense. If there is no contract a judge will give him a fair market value
for the time and materials he put into it.
Let me rephrase that; a judge should... Judges, especially small claims
judges, are capable of doing just about anything; without any regard to
either the law or common sense.

So, it is certainly best to have a contract to avoid such problems. Let me
rephrase that also, to reduce such problems; no way to avoid them.