Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

In article EtBsf.92824$2k.40435@pd7tw1no,
says...
Keith Williams wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Don Young wrote:

Troubleshooting with a digital voltmeter is also not a good idea; a
test lamp is much better.

Why isn't a multimeter a good idea? He's measuring volts, not current,
so it won't blow the meter.

Digital multimeters have a very high input impedance and can read
high values on open circuits because of the capacitive coupling
between wires. A test lamp is a low impedance device so any
capacitive coupling becomes insignificant. If you really need to
know what the voltage is, use both (load the circuit and read with
the meter).

A test lamp is a good idea. He could also pick up one of those outlet
testers for a few dollars.

A "three-light tester" should be in everyone's toolbox. Another
tool I've found to be quite valuable is a non-contact voltage
probe.

Hi,
That's why I still have an old Simpson 260 analog multi meter.

I never really liked the '260s, certainly not enough to buy one.
The light bulb may be more accurate. ;-)

Also have Fluke DVM, Tek 'scope, etc.

A scope for an AC line? ;-) I have a couple of Fluke (77?)
multimeters left (some have sprouted legs) and a bunch of Harbor
Freight $2.99 specials. The latter gets loaned out these days. ;-)

--
Keith