Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Is it reasonable to demand a contractor's estimate in writing?

"Yank_fan_2965" wrote in message
I then asked him to provide me with a written estimate. He
declined. He said he wanted to wait until he was ready to start the
job. I feel that he should be able to provide a written estimate of the
costs now. Am I being unreasonable?

Maybe. Right now some materials are fluctuating in price a couple of times
a day. One of my suppliers was not getting pricing from his mill (plastic
wrap) until time of shipment, four weeks after a order was placed. Heck of
a way to do business.

Perhaps the guy just wants to cover his ass in case materials change. I had
a price on some electrical work six months ago. If I was going to proceed
today, the materials have gone up 20% in some items. Not a big deal on
adding a single receptacle, but huge on a major power increase with
transformers and 1000A service.