Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat loss through skylight

NeedleNose wrote:

I also have 10-15 year old velux skylights, motorized venting type.
They are absolutely freezing and one also is begining to leak. I can
tell you they are NOT good or even fair insulators at that age.

Perhaps the gaskets are leaky.

One inexpensive option is to go to Kmart, buy very heavy drape fabric,
and attach it (you can use tape on the upper end) to the inner screen.
This will provide at least some buffer between the room and the cold
skylight.

Adding a few layers of plastic film underneath should work better.

Another more attractive option is to buy cellular shades, cheaper over
the web, and install them against the glass, or preferably, just below
the glass. They offer / promise 6 R-value or so.

IIRC, they only promise R5, including the window's R-Value :-)

Nick