Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Tile floor buckling

Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...
My bathroom floor tiles were put down with thinset over od hardwood
floors. They have been lifting and loosening for years. I stick them
back down with floor tile adhesive. Seems to work, but what a pain.
Thinset must be garbage. Seems like it is a problem.

Yes, thinset is junk, like everything, if used incorrectly. Thinset
is *not* intended to be used with a plywood substrate, much less
hardwood flooring. Rip it all up and do it right.

The Tile Council of America, and most thinset manufacturers I've run
across, allow thinset on plywood for light, dry, residential foot
traffic. That being said, I think it's a **** poor way to go.