Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Replacing Tile Installed Over Hardibacker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the process of installing tile over most of the downstairs
floors of my house. In the kitchen, with a plywood subfloor, I have
installed the 13" X 13" tiles over 1/4" Hardibacker.

I did a poor job installing one of the tiles (ended up with a corner
kicker) and had to remove it. In the removal process some of the
Hardibacker delaminated and came up with the tile. As a result, the
Hardibacker in part of the area (about half) where the replacement tile
will go is between 1/16" to 1/8" lower than it should be, as a result
of the delamination and pull-out.

Any advice on leveling the Hardibacker prior to installing the
replacement tile? Just set it in a thicker than normal layer of
thinset? Level with concrete patcher prior to installation? Cut out
the square of Hardibacker and screw down a replacement piece? Other?

I would just use a little extra thinset.