Spehro Pefhany

Default OT - Why is this news story not big on US news channels?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:14:09 GMT, the renowned
(John Flanagan) wrote:

Wasn't the largest chemical explosion the ammonium nitrate explosion
in Galveston, TX I believe it was? Either that or the one that
occured in NJ. Both were during WWII while loading ships I think.

Supposedly the biggest (accidental) pre-nuclear explosion..my late
grandmother lost siblings in the great Halifax explosion of 1917. It
killed more than 2,000 people, injured around 10,000 and destroyed
hundreds of acres of North-end Halifax. It was a WWI French munitions
ship which collided in the harbor with a Belgian relief ship then
drifted to the docks. The time between collision and explosion was 20
minutes- enough time for the ship's crew (who knew well what was on
board) to high-tail it out and for curious spectators and the fire
department to gather.

BTW, the city of Boston generously and quickly donated aid and Halifax
still sends an Xmas tree to Boston every year in gratitude.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany