Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

Default Boilers, boilers..

"danw" wrote in message
I'm seeking advice.

We're currently looking to replace our system boiler and hot water tank.
The boiler and tank are too small for our house (detached, 30s, 3 beds,
one bath, 3 downstairs rooms with small kitchen extension).

We've had a couple of heating engineers in and are receiving conflicting
advice; as I am sure I will get here!

First chap said that a combi would be no good for our house. He said he
would never use them and that they are no good for a house of our size. He
also said that we would need to replace our old iron gas supply, even
though it appears to be large enough.

Second man said that a combi would be fine, he recommended a
floor-standing, Worcester Greenflow. Said we wouldn't need to replace the
gas supply it would be fine. Said a wall mounted boiler would not be big
enough. Having a floor standing boiler is less than ideal as it would take
up much needed floor space in our small kitchen.

Third man says we would be fine with a wall mounted combi but said we'd
need a new gas supply as old iron pipes a likely to rust and this can get
inside the boiler. He also said they are prone to cracking and leaking.

What we would ideally like is: a combi, wall-mounted, with no new gas
supply if possible. We are a small family (2 little kids), with not a lot
of spare cash, and not a lot of room in our kitchen for the boiler.

I know that, ultimately, the decision is ours but if anyone has any advice
for us it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance, dan

I saw a great set-up the other day...

Unvented cylinder, heated via solar panels (actually evacuated tubes), which
then passed through a Worcester condensing boiler for DHW. The boiler
simply topped up any heat demand required. The cylinder sat at 25c even in
the winter, therefore using a lot less energy to satisfy demand. Also had
an immersion in case of boiler problems.

Probably not that rare - first one I've seen though.

Angus