Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default WTB water connections for 5mm plastic tubing

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:04:23 -0000, "Jeff"
wrote:

"Mungo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,
A quick Google hasn't turned up any sources, so does anyone have a
source of fittings to connect 5mm plastic tubing to (say) 15mm copper
pipe?

Whilst working on a door canopy yesterday I took the opportunity to
snake some
5mm clear plastic tubing through the void and positioned one end where
hanging basket normally resides.
The plan is to timer-connect this via a washing machine solenoid valve
so that the
hanging basket gets watered in the summer.

So one end will dangle near the basket, but my issue is how to connect
the
other end securely to mains water pressure (throttled back by a valve
somewhat).

Anyone got a source for fittings?

RS etc, you want compessed air fittings which will take you from 5mm to 1/2
bsp etc

HTH - Jeff

I've used these in the workshop for compressed air use with pneumatic
clamps etc. They are cheap and work well, although 4mm and 6mm are a
lot more common than 5mm.

Mungo doesn't say what type of flexible tubing, but these fittings are
meant for fairly stiff nylon or PTFE tube. If it's soft PVC tube, I
am not sure that they would grip it properly.

Another point here is that if this is a hook up to mains water, it
would be a good idea to add a pressure regulator and a check valve.

--

..andy