Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony

Default Well pump cycling question

Hi, have a question that hopefully someone can answer...

We had a new well pressure tank put in yesterday. Previously, we had an
old (30 years) galvanized, bladderless tank, roughly 48" high and 16"
diameter that I used to charge with air every 9 months or so. The tank
we now have is the bladder type, but a little smaller (approx 34" by
16"). Anyway, after I would recharge our old pump, when I would flush
our bathroom toilet upstairs (for example) which is the furthest water
source from the tank in the house, I would lose about 8 lbs of pressure
from the tank. As time went by, and the air would dissipate from the
tank, after about 8 months, I would lose, maybe, 14-16 lbs. after
flushing. With this tank, I'm losing about 14-16 lbs right off the bat.
Now, I know it's a smaller tank, but I wondered if this was a normal
pressure drop for that size tank, or if it's losing more than it should
be. Mind you, the toilet is original to the house, hence not a low flow
model. Pressure switch is also set at 40/60. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony