Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Onkyo TX 3000 questions

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Waylon" wrote in message
My Onkyo TX 3000 stereo receiver went on the blink and I've had it in a
local
repair shop for the past 3 months. The problem with the device is this.
When you
push the on/off switch, nothing happens. Usually, once you turn it on, it
will
be about a 2 or 3 second delay, you will hear a click sound and it powers
up.
Well, that don't happen. Al the lights comes on, but that click sound
never
materializes and NO SOUND. Anybody go a clue and is 3 months typically
TOO Long
for a shop to take to repair???

I would suspect that the person who landed the job of looking at it, has '
lost his way ' a bit on it. It happens to us all sometimes, and it's
usually the slightly more obscure makes of this type of high end
equipment, that it happens on.

Basically, the failure of the unit to come on with the normal relay click,
means that the system control micro, is detecting some kind of fault
condition. This is what is being looked for by the system control during
that few seconds between you hitting the switch, and the relay closing to
complete the power up sequence. Often, it will be an output stage problem,
but this is where the fun and games can start. This kind of problem can
literally soak up hours of bench time, particularly if the unit has
discrete component output stages, and you don't have a schematic.

Having realised that you have spent half a day, and got nowhere, the
tendency is to cast it aside to get on with some jobs that will put food
on the table. You always promise yourself that you will look at it again
on Friday when you're less stressed, and in the meantime, will try to
obtain a service manual. Unfortunately, it never works like that, and this
week turns into next week, and then next month until it becomes an
embarrassment, and you start to dread the owner ringing up about it. Any
other professionals reading this will know exactly what I'm talking about.
I'm willing to bet that every one of us has been there at some time ...

I would suggest that you approach the shop where it is, and ask nicely
what the problem is. Suggest to them that if they are having too much of a
problem with it, that they just put it back together, and let you have it
back, as three months is not acceptable. If it's not fixed just because
they can't fix it, they shouldn't charge you anything. Most of us who are
reputable, work on a no fix no charge basis.

If the scenario is as I've described, they will probably appreciate your
direct approach and understanding. Providing that the person looking at it
is not a nonno, then as a fellow engineer, I have sympathy with him.

Arfa

I'm pretty sure this model is a bit old to have a microprocessor-controlled
protection circuit. More likely just an analog DC detect / overcurrent
detect circuit.

As far as "no fix no charge" is concerned, in my shop the initial check-out
fee is non-refundable except in extraordinary circumstances. Three months
time unable to fix might not qualify, but three months getting a runaround
would, in my opinion.

Mark Z.