Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

Default Planer or jointer?

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
ink.net...
If you're going to do some serious furniture building, you might want the
jointer first. You'll want a good tight fit for those table tops.
My 2 cents.
Joe

The guy that I've been paying to mill the rough lumber for me said to me, in
front of my wife, "You want both a planer and a jointer, but get the jointer
first. It makes an excellent Christmas gift." So that's what I did. It
makes sense to me, because with just a planer you can't guarantee flatness.
With a jointer you can't guarantee the faces will be parallel, but to
reasonable widths you can still plane them.

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to make a table top without a
planer. Got any tips?

- Owen -