Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Planer or jointer?

"JustME" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the woodworking world so I need some help with this
one. I'm wanting to purchase a planer or a jointer, but not sure which
one I should buy FIRST?

I wasn't going to answer this question, but since I disagree with
everyone...

Around here anyhow, it is easy enough to buy S2S that is already planed and
perfectly adequate to use. It must still be jointed though. Sure, you can
kinda edge joint on a good saw (which you probably do not have if you are
asking this question) and you can kinda joint on a good router table
(ditto), but not real well.

So, if the S2S available to you is okay, you should get a jointer first.
You only need a planer when using rough wood, thicknesses other than what is
available, or the local S2S is crappy.