Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew H. Wakefield

Default More advice needed: Cincinatti 12x36 "Tray-Lathe"

Thanks, all, for the input. As always, your answers lead me to more
questions!

John, thanks for the tip on checking the ways. Rex, where do I find the
mermac site? I take it that it is possible to restore the ways if they are
worn? Is this a major ordeal?

Gunner, you mentioned the weight -- I was wondering about that. Any idea how
much weight we're talking about? 1000 lbs., or less? Can I carry it in my
little Ranger, and do I need a forklift to get it into or out of the truck?
I've read a recent thread about moving a lathe with interest, but I'm
thinking the engine hoist that was discussed in that thread wouldn't be able
to lift it high enough for the truck -- yes? no?

As far as parts go -- would there be anything broken that a competent
machinist could not fix? (No, I am not a competent machinist yet, by a long
shot, but I have a friend who is

Harold, you mentioned that you didn't like this lathe compared to an EE
Monarch. I'm too new to all this to appreciate the comparison, since I've
never seen either one. Anything in particular that you didn't care for
about the Cincinnati Tray-Lathe? Any particular features that I should be
aware of?

I'll be looking at the lathe this weekend. Pictures and/or update to follow

Andy

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in message
Many thanks for the helpful input you all have given me via an earlier
thread. I've gotten a response to some inquiries for a local lathe, and
would very much appreciate your input on this:

----------

I have a large metal lathe with a lot of features and a lot of accessories
that you may be interested in. It is a Cincinatti "Tray-Lathe" circa the
early to mid-50's, 12"x36". I have a 2HP 115/230 single phase and a 3-ph
motor for it, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, and other goodies. It has a
quick-change gear head as well as a quick-change threading gearbox. It
was appraised at over $1K back when I was using it but I haven't used it
in a number of years and it is collecting dust in my garage. If you are
interested I would probably sell it for around $500 if you would come get
it.

To me this looks like a good deal, at least on paper, but then I'm still a
rank newbie. What do you think?

When I go to look at it, I will of course make sure that everything works
and that there is no play in the headstock. Any of the gearing that I can
see I will inspect for chipped teeth. What else should I look for / at? In
particular, how do I determine the amount of wear on the ways?

Many thanks for your help!

Andy