Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default air compresser control

ATP* wrote:
"Dick" wrote in message
m...

Anyone here have any good luck getting good, new on/off controls for a
portable air compressor? I've got a Black Max 5 hp compressor that has
been very dependable since 1994. About 2 1/2 years ago the on/off control
went bad. The electrical contacts finally burned up. I got a new one from
http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/ . It looked identical, kicks in at 80 psi
and off at 125psi. All seems good except these things don't last. In the
last 2.5 years I've replaced this unit 3 times and now it is bad again and
hasn't been on for six months. The points burn up and start sticking
together so that the compressor never shuts off and I'm afraid there's
going to be a fire as the motor gets pretty hot after a few hours of
running.
Are there any better units out there?
Dick

--

Furnas makes good contactors. The problem might be elsewhere though, I would
check the compressor with an amprobe.

I second that. After replacing one years ago, including adaptation for a
different design, and at a cost of about $50, my compressor still did
not work. That's when I discovered the big red Reset button on the
motor. It had been painted over with the green paint that covered
everything.