Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JohnF

Default Contactor/relay repair question

I inspected the guts of the thing today and found that it has been
"rattling" for so long the surfaces of the laminate parts are worn and
out of parallel. It appears that part of the cover that holds the
assembly together had vibrated loose some time back and let the whole
thing float around to a degree. I am going to make new shading coils
from 12ga copper wire and resurface the laminates so they will sit
flat together. I still have to get some new aux contacts/switches but
those are only about $400.00.

There is no ID except for the #'s relative to the Reliance drive part
so, at this point, I'm stuck with parts from the drive manufacturer
rather than the component manufacturer. I can find no specs in any
drawings or literature I have except that the motor is a 40HP 240vdc
and 108/150 amp listed at 850/2550 rpm.

Cover me! I'm goin' in!

JohnF

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:51:50 GMT, JohnF
wrote:

I have a large expensive contactor/relay that buzzes so hard it has
destroyed the aux contacts mounted on it. Is there some way to stop
the buzzing? A replacement is nearly $3000.00 and money is very scarce
around here right now.

TIA

JohnF