Posted to alt.home.repair
jymusic

Default Adding hardwood to existing stairs

The staircase in my house has plywood steps with carpeting. I'm thinking
of having someone remove the carpet and install hardwood. Is there anything
wrong or problematic about installing plank hardwood on top of the plywood?
Will this work and be durable?

I'm looking at Bruce hardwood flooring. At Home Depot, in the section where
they have Bruce hardwood flooring I notice that they matching "stair noses"
but they are around $19.50 each. If there are 14 steps total, then that
would be $273 for just the "stair noses" (yikes!). Is it important I use
these specific "stair nose" pieces or is there some rounded peace could add
on top the existing nose (or would using anything other than those "stair
nose" pieces be a mistake in terms of durability?

Does anyone know what the maximum height of each step should be? (I live in
NJ)

Thanks,

JY

My original rock music: