Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

Default Way Off Topic: West coast eyes

"Beej-in-GA" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Greg G." wrote in message
Greg G. said:

While I harbor a healthy suspicion of drug company claims in general,
perhaps you might also consider the studies being performed at the
Oregon Health & Science University, testing an experimental drug,
which is now on the market as Gleevec. Its maker is Novartis.

Dr. Brian Druker, a Howard Hughes investigator at the university's
Cancer Institute, who led the Gleevec study, sees this treatment as a
pioneer effort in a new frontier of science. The treatment is based
not on blasting cancer cells with harsh chemotherapy or radiation but
instead on using a sort of molecular razor to cut them out...

Addendum:

Also, since you didn't state the exact cancer involved, this may or
may not provide any useful information. But since the technology
involved represents a new paradigm for cancer treatment, it is a
matter of time until it is adapted for other patients/cancers.
Brief PR release he
http://www.ohsu.edu/news/2003/031203druker.html

I am not a DMS and the only thing I have a degree in is BS. But...
Traditional chemotherapy involves hammering the body with toxins in an
attempt to effect the mutant cells responsible for the cancer. Until
this point, the cell walls of the cancer have been resistant to
traditional drug targeting, thus resulting in the "poison everything"
approach to cancer treatment - which is the reason many patients
become more weakened from the treatment than the disease. And rarely
is the cancer "cured". The mutant cells are still present in, and
produced by, the body; lying in wait to re-awaken in the future.

This new drug's methodology has apparently been proven able to
penetrate the cell walls of the mutant cancer cells, thus allowing
more precise targeting by other combined drugs. Apparently, however,
each individual's unique genetic predispositions to cancer and
variance in the make up of these genetic flaws can require a tailoring
of the drug to said individual and his/her genetic makeup and
particular cancer. But with currently available technology combined
with automated systems, it's only a matter of time until a doctor will
be able to submit tissue/DNA samples and have a custom engineered drug
delivered to your door - for a price.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Hi Greg G.
Thanks for your replies to this thread. As you may have noticed from my
until they peter out, so to speak. :-) I am really impressed with the
response to this call for help. I am also very grateful for all the
helpful replies. On behalf of my friend and his wife, thanks to all for
your continued help and patience.
Best Regards,
Beej

This will be of no help to your friend but might be helpful for the rest of
us. An article in the UK guardian concerning US extended period study finds
vitamin D to be a major deterrent to many types of cancer. The normal way we
generate it is by absorbing UV rays through the skin. With the use of SPF
suntan lotions and those areas with low sunlight [northern areas ] cancers
has been more prevalent . To be beneficial the study recommended dose has
been increased to 1000 international units [25 micrograms] per day.....