Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

Default Planer or jointer?

On Tue 27 Dec 2005 09:48:17p, "JustME" wrote in
ups.com:

As far as the value of each tool is concerned
which would offer me the most starting out? Which models would be good
for a beginner as well? Thanks for all your help.

I'll come in on the side of the planer, but I hope you've got a few hand
planes around to help flatten that wood. Unless you're getting s2s, I
guess.

I got the planer first and it was two years before I was frustrated enough
to get a jointer. But I also had a nice old Stanley jointer plane and it
did a pretty good job of prepping the wood for the planer. Pretty good.
Most of the time.

I reasoned that I could find a way to get the boards reasonably flat with
hand tools easier than I could mill a whole bunch of boards to the same
thickness. I was right. It was fine for a while.

But it got to be a pain, and then it got to be a royal pain, and then I ran
into the Board From Hell That Would Never Get Flat No Matter WHAT I Did,
and finally I snapped like a twig.

I bought the Delta 733 planer on sale after it was discontinued, and two
years later the Grizzly G0586 jointer.