Alden Hackmann

Default Turning disc of phenolic

jim rozen writes:

Respectfully disagree. The material you have chosen
(LE phenolic) is quite tough and would take a press
up of substantial proportions without failing.
Simply putting linear knurling on teh steel shaft
will make it drive quite well.

Sorry - I should have specified the body of the instrument, not the wheel.
I'm sure the wheel and shaft would do fine with this. The situation is
that we need to be able to install the shaft and wheel in the instrument
and remove it again fairly easily.

To give you a better idea of the instrument, here's one of our progress
pages: http://www.hurdygurdy.com/progress/021216.htm. A few photos down,
VG37 is being drilled and tapped for the bearings and shaft, and in the
next photo, VG37 is sitting with the wheel installed. Once the soundboard
is positioned, we'll take it out again, and glue on the soundboard. We'll
put it in again to position the bridge and the keybox, and we'll take it
out for finishing, and put it in again to string it up.

Thanks for your ideas,

Alden
--
Alden F.M. Hackmann