Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
BIOSMonkey

Default Need some advice about wiring basement

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:44:48 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

Save yourself at lot of worry. Formalize your intentions and try to meet
with the inspector at his office before you start work. Explain what you
plan to do and ask if that is correct for your area. I have never found any
inspector unwilling to work with a homeowner who cares enough to want to do
it right.

Why do you want to drop the ceiling?

Because I have to. Duct work, gas lines, water lines etc run all
across under the joists.

Now to try and answer a few of your questions. These answers are based on
this locale. Each area has their own little quirks even though they all use
the same code.

1. There can be no junction boxes concealed above a drywall ceiling. All
junction boxes must be accessible. I don't know about armored for the one
foot drop. I do know that nm can not run across a metal grid for a dropped
ceiling. In a normal situation without the drop NM is run to each can
light.

I had thought about this because I knew junction boxes could not be
enclosed. I guess the only way to do this correctly (ie dropped
drywall) is to run armored cable everywhere? I don't know how I could
do that logistically, and it would require significant rework.