Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default help with newly acquired lathe

In article , William Wixon says...

after wiping off the crud i finally noticed the serial numbers stamped on
the bed, like you said. serial number 4793. cast into the bed are dates
1885, 1889, 1895, 1896, and last Apr. 14, 1896. i would like to know about
when this lathe was made.

Probably sometime after mine was made, as the S/N on it is 2537.

One would also suspect yours is younger based on the micrometer
dial, and the more modern-looking controls and handles on it.

You probably should replace the paper shims in the headstock
with metal ones, if it's like mine they will be quite narrow.
I seem to recall the shims were about 1/8 inch wide by an inch
or so long, I stuck them on with grease to be sure they would
not shift and wind up between the spindle and the bronze
bearing when assembling.

Jim

please reply to: