Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Contactor/relay repair question

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:15:33 GMT, in rec.crafts.metalworking "Tom
Gardner" wrote:
"JohnF" wrote in message
.. .

I have a large expensive contactor/relay that buzzes so hard it has
destroyed the aux contacts mounted on it. Is there some way to stop
the buzzing? A replacement is nearly $3000.00 and money is very scarce
around here right now.

Start with cleaning it all up thoroughly and lubricating per the
instructions, it may be nothing more than rust or crap keeping the
pole pieces from seating properly. Look for bent guides that are not
letting the pole pieces mate squarely against each other. Or you have
a series/parallel multi-tap coil that has one open winding.

I started making my own contacts many years ago. I buy fine silver plate
from a jewelry hobby store and solder new blocks on the contact bars using
jeweler's silver solder sheets. Works great, lasts longer and WAY cheaper
than buying a contact set. You should splurge on a new coil and find any
other problem. Contactors should be seen but not heard.

Agreed that you can make your own - but if you sit down and honestly
figure in the labor hours needed to track down the supplies and
retread your old contact sets, that usually makes the current
production ones on the shelf cheaper. Might be time to find another
supplier with a markup more to your liking.

And I can't do it for a paying customer, because if "something goes
terribly wrong" the liability lawyers would have a field day.

If the replacement parts are totally discontinued, or they're so old
that the supplier is hand-building the replacement parts they sell
making them über-expensive, /that's/ the time to roll your own.

And when the money situation is better, buy a replacement contactor.
Preferably current production, and a bit oversized for longer life.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545