Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default More advice needed: Cincinatti 12x36 "Tray-Lathe"

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:10:52 -0500, "Andrew H. Wakefield"
wrote:

Many thanks for the helpful input you all have given me via an earlier
thread. I've gotten a response to some inquiries for a local lathe, and
would very much appreciate your input on this:

----------

I have a large metal lathe with a lot of features and a lot of accessories
that you may be interested in. It is a Cincinatti "Tray-Lathe" circa the
early to mid-50's, 12"x36". I have a 2HP 115/230 single phase and a 3-ph
motor for it, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, and other goodies. It has a
quick-change gear head as well as a quick-change threading gearbox. It was
appraised at over $1K back when I was using it but I haven't used it in a
number of years and it is collecting dust in my garage. If you are
interested I would probably sell it for around $500 if you would come get
it.

----------

To me this looks like a good deal, at least on paper, but then I'm still a
rank newbie. What do you think?

When I go to look at it, I will of course make sure that everything works
and that there is no play in the headstock. Any of the gearing that I can
see I will inspect for chipped teeth. What else should I look for / at? In
particular, how do I determine the amount of wear on the ways?

Many thanks for your help!

Andy

A tray top Cincie for $500? If its in good working order..snag it NOW!
Run! dont walk to the guy with cash in hand.

Its fairly heavy (a good thing) so be prepared for moving it. Parts
are pretty much non existant, but they were a rugged lathe and I still
see them in daily use in machine shops.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner