Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Can a ring main spur start at the consumer unit.

Andy Hall wrote:

A better solution still would be to make the light a maintained
emergency fitting and to have it switched on when you open the
cupboard door. Little 8W ones are available for about £18.

Oh, the door switch is a nice wrinkle I had not thought of doing ;-)
(works well in fridges I guess)

Out of interest where can you get maintained fittings for £18? (I know
TLC do non maintained ones for that sort of money[1], but not seen a
maintained one at that price)

[1] I needed a bog standard rectangular fluorescent bulkhead type
fitting for a friends garage/workshop the other day, so I bought one of
the newer cheaper non maintained ones they added to the catalogue
recently. IIRC was about £14 instead of the normal £20 for the Legrand
ones. It was actually a *much* better design from the POV of the
installer. The base could be fixed in place and the the main module with
tube and Tx etc fixed in place and then hinged down for wiring. Hence
you did not need to play the game of dangle a 'kin heavy fitting from
the supply wires).

--
Cheers,

John.