Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Need some advice about wiring basement

"BIOSMonkey" wrote in message
I am finishing my basement and need some tips on how to do a few things

for
rough in. I am in Gwinnett County, GA if that matters.

Specifically:

1) I definitely will have some sort of drop ceiling, probably acoustic

tile but
there is a small possibility it may be sheet rock. The ceiling will drop

about
a foot or so from the bottom of the joists.
a) I assume that any electrical runs to lighting in the ceiling (cans,

etc)
will require armored cable since the wire is unsupported/unprotected from

the
joist to the tile?
b) I also assume that this means I will need to terminate the NMB cable

into
a metal junction box, and run the armored cable from there to the

fixtures?
c) for rough-in there will be no actual fixtures...so how do I

terminate the
armored cable? Or do I not run any armored cable at all until fixtures

are
there?

2) What is used to rough-in wall lights (for example the bathroom), a

standard
circular fixture box like they used for the ceiling?

3) Will the inspector examine only what I have done? ie if he/she sees
something that is sloppy but was done by the home builder, could I be

required
to fix it? That would seem rather unfair since THEY were supposed to get

it
inspected to get the CO...

Save yourself at lot of worry. Formalize your intentions and try to meet
with the inspector at his office before you start work. Explain what you
plan to do and ask if that is correct for your area. I have never found any
inspector unwilling to work with a homeowner who cares enough to want to do
it right.

Why do you want to drop the ceiling?

Now to try and answer a few of your questions. These answers are based on
this locale. Each area has their own little quirks even though they all use
the same code.

1. There can be no junction boxes concealed above a drywall ceiling. All
junction boxes must be accessible. I don't know about armored for the one
foot drop. I do know that nm can not run across a metal grid for a dropped
ceiling. In a normal situation without the drop NM is run to each can
light.

2. yes or possibly a switch box it depends on the fixture. For some fixtures
you just have the wire there for the rough in and make the final connection
inside the fixture.

3. Normally yes

Colbyt