Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default sump pipe height?

On 27 Dec 2005 08:13:42 -0800, "KJ" wrote:

Hello All,

After the check valve, the sump drain pipe goes up about 2', then 90deg
elbow straight across the room and into a waste pipe. So the sump drain
pipe is right in the middle of the wall.

What I want to do is have the pipe go up straight 7' (to just below the
joists) before elbowing towards the waste pipe. Is this too high for
the sump to pump a column of water?

My situation was worse than the other examples. Mine goes up 7 feet,
but rarely ran, sometimes not for months. Yet, when for the first
time in 22 years, I had 7 inches of rain within 48 or maybe 30 hours,
the pump was running full blast and loads of water was coming out of
it, but it still couldn't keep up with the water coming into the sump
from the soil outside, through the corrugated, perforated black
plastic pipe that surrounds my house underground.

I don't know how much more output there would have been if I only had
to raise the water 5 feet less, But I'm saying that required
capacity can vary from nothing for months at a time, to beyond the
level of my pump.

Thanks,
-KJ

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let