Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

wrote:
Morning All,

I just installed a new fireplace screen / door surround.

Eventhough the unit came with some of the fiberglass batting, it is not
sitting flush against the fireplace because of the unevenness of the
bricks. And although not huge, there are some air gaps around the
edges.

I was thinking I'd seal around the edges with a high heat mortar...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

Don't do that, it isn't necessary and it will look
like hell. Add a bit more fiberglass insulation
to the screen where it contacts the bricks. You
don't need, and probably don't want, a real tight
installation. Anyway there are plenty of leaks
where the glass opens and the shutter slide is.
All you want to do is just slow down most of the
air movement. When the fire burns out, you should
be closing the damper in the chimney, so there
will be very little air movement up the chimney
anyway.