Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

Default Heat loss through skylight

On 25 Dec 2005 10:11:52 -0800, wrote:

I have 6 skylights in my house (12 year old house).
In trying to lower my heating bills, I am looking at all possible ideas
to save.

I have noticed that the rooms with skylights are MUCH cooler than other
rooms, making me conclude that heat is being lost through the
skylights.

How do I minimize this heat loss?

Maybe you should look for another source of heat loss?

I have two (velux) skylights and one 3050 window in my upstairs
office. The room next to it is a bedroom and has no skylights but two
3050 windows. The glass area is about the same. The heat pump duct
area supplying the rooms is the same. The area and volume of the
rooms are the same.

The room with the skylights stays about 4-5 degrees warmer year round.
My conclusion is that I'm picking up enough sun load to offset any
heat loss caused by the glass area in the skylights. I live in the
mid south, but sunload is sunload on a relative basis.

In the winter that 4-5 degrees is ok. In the summer when it can get
to 85F in that room (with AC) we shade the skylights to lower the
temp and help out the AC.

Frank