Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default And one last (?) craftsman RAS question...

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message
ink.net...
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:25:17 GMT, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Toller wrote:
I adjusted and squared everything. When I flip my pieces over and put
them
back together they fit perfectly. Except...

The table is flat, but when I move the arm to 45 degrees, both right
and
left, the blade is a sixteenth close to the blade then when it is at 90
degrees. This doesn't make any sense to me; it is like the arm droops
sixteenth when I turn it.

Any advice on what this is, or how to fix it. Or, does it even matter?
Unless I am cutting a diagonal dado, it probably will never make a
difference, and I have never cut a diagonal dado. Any other times it
would
affect the results?

Your table is not level. Flat? Maybe but not level.

Probably not flat.

I built a replacement table as described in the "Mr. Sawdust" book. Two
layers
of 3/4 Baltic Birch, with a few steel bars embedded in it. The table is
very
flat, and resists deflection when croscutting. Waaay better than the stock
table.

I agree it is probably not flat, but my straight edge says it is. I have
redone everything from scratch. One of the rails the table sides on was off
by a hair. I fixed that, but the end result is the same.

So what is this Mr. Sawdust book? The table can certainly use an upgrade.