Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Tatung Monitor

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave D wrote:
"Wayne Fitzner" wrote in message
I did what you said and found the capacitor. Got new one at Radio Shack
and
now it powers up like it should. Thanks!!!

Well done :-)

You may find other capacitors will fail soon, but at least you know what
look for next time and they are very cheap components to replace..

Dave

PMFBI, but I found this thread pretty interesting. Are you saying that
the 'lytics in this set are notorious, or of this brand, or in general?

Electrolytics are IME the least reliable component in general, particularly
in switchmode power supplies. Any 'strange' fault qualifies for close
attention to electrolytics IMO.

What is it about an electrolytic that would make it fail at room
temperature but work OK when hot? I thought the can-types were just a
couple of long sheets of aluminum foil w/ an insulator between?

With an electrolyte paste.

Maybe the electrolyte partially dries up and the heating process temporarily
reactivates and/or redistributes it, but that is a pure guess on my part.

Dave