Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Boilers, boilers..

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:51:26 -0000, "Jeff"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff wrote:
FWIW - 4 bed house, 2 bathrooms + ensuite, just had a Alpha CD50
fitted,
bath filling is on a par with the old cylinder system, its wall
mounting
and stuck in the loft on the gable wall - worth a look

You must have had a very poor 'cylinder system'. A correctly designed
one
should have given twice the flow at double the temperature of an Alpha
CD50 thus filling a bath to the wanted temperature in a quarter of the
time.

Yes it was poor - old thorn boiler and cylinder in the old outside
loo/coalhouse.
I agree that any combi is not going to me a match for a modern storage
system but for a household that mainly showers the alpha is a superb one
box
solution (the mira shower is superb vs the old 9.5Kw 'leccy one)

Well, yes, one would hope.

The point is that one's perspective depends on the place from which
one starts.

--

.andy

Alpha - just wait 'till it goes wrong. God awful boilers, same league as
Biasi and Ariston.

Total ********. You have never seen one. Alpha and Ariston have revamps
their whole ranges and give long guarantees. The older models were not that
brilliant, yet I know some who always swore by Alpha. The Alpha CD50 has a
FIVE year guarantee with a stainless steel water vessel and the Ariston
Microgenus has a 2 year guarantee with 5 years on the plate heat exchanger.
I have had a Microgenus for 3 years and it has been perfect. At the time it
was the smallest cased combi around. It is also has a very simple layout.
The main heat exchanger slides in and out. A doddle to work on.

Even BIASI are reliable and simple boilers (in the non-condensing version),
using industry standard parts.

I'd rather have a Plumb Center EVO.
Go Worcester or Vaillant - Rolls Royce boilers with customer service and
technical support to match.

You really don't know do you. The RR boilers are Viessmann, ECO-Hometec,
ATAG, etc.

Glowworm or

Glow Worm are made by Vaillant with the Vaillant parts.

Baxi also at a push.

A relative of mine had a Baxi 105e fitted 3 years ago (with the water vessel
inside). I stayed in their house and was quite impressed with it. They had
a small bath yet it filled it with no problems at all. No trickle fills. I
aced her if she thought the bath fills were slow, she said she never noticed
and it fills fast enough. The 105e is one of the better boilers Baxi have
made. The condensing version has the secondary heat exchanger and all
boiler with these should be avoided.

If you have two or more bathrooms/shower rooms, I strongly recommend
installing an electric shower in one of them

Oh my God!!! What tripe. Electric showers are made by Satan himself.
Electric backup can be provided by an in-line instant heater in the DHW
draw-off.