Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default surround sound "pre-wire"

jIM wrote:
The builder told me the contract was with Guardian and the Guardian
sales rep quit the week we closed, so no anwers were ever given.

I told the builder they referred me to Guardian and the builder said
tough luck. Dixon builders definitely licks rocks. My super for Dixon
is awesome, though. He referred me to Home depot and best buy.

I have the face plates for the walls alrready hooked in. I have some
of my speakers hooked to them now.
I have a master face plate I found at Best Buy (has 6 inputs in one 5x5
plate for center, left front and rear, right front and rear, and a 6th
aux speaker.

My biggest issue now is trying to hook up the wall wires to this plate-
the gold "rods" don't have the holes so slide the copper wire into
before screwing down the "rods" to secure the wire. If this problem
gets solved, I think I will have everything ready to go.

I bought a y cable to get my sub woofer single output from the receiver
to the left-right input on the sub woofer. I am bypassing the coax
within the wall- saved me buying a couple of cables and the sub woofer
is about 3 ft from the receiver anyway. The left-right hookups on the
sub woofer suggest it's "input2". Any thoughts if this will effect
performance?

Hi,
Some receivers have lfe(low frequency effect)RCA jack which is for sub.
Also you can adjust crossover freq on the receiver or at sub end if it
has the feature(usually it has gain and cross over freq. adjusting pots)
If you don't have lfe jack then tapping off the left RCA audio is common
practice. Low frequency does not really have stereo effect.
Most speaker wire binder is either by thumb screw or banana plug
combination.
Tony