Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles

Default New GE disposal - loud click when turned on?

The unit is brand new, never used. It is like something slamming
outward when it starts spinning, or maybe a loose connection between
the drive motor and whatever it's driving - like slack is being taken
up.

I did find that it was incredibly more quiet when I installed the
little rubber thing into the opening. I couldn't believe it could
deaden the sound so much. I'm guessing it's operating as designed,
although I don't really understand why it needs to be this way.

DesignGuy wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on,
it makes a really loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is
normal. It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound
deadening stuff if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800
number was no use. Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it
ought to work?

Could it be a seed or something in the disposer that has fallen in?
Sometimes this will make a one click as it slams against the disposer
sidewall, but then is held in place by centrifugal force.