Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

Default Heat loss through skylight

The Velux units I have are about 26" x
~24". They fits between a 24" on-center
roof truss. They came with a small
hinged wood flap at the top, which can be
operated by cords or by a "stick with a
hook." Check out
http://www.veluxusa.com/products/sky...dWithVentFlap/
They offered an optional motor and
controller to open and close the flap.
When I bought the last 2 of them, they
were about $80 or $90 each. The
controller was very pricey (~$200), so I
engineered my own. The motors run
on DC, one polarity to open and one to
close. They have built-in limit switches.
I used a transformer with a full wave
rectifier. A rocker switch applies the
+ DC
in one position and - DC in the other.
BTW, the last ones were purchased
about 8 - 10 years ago. I couldn't find
the motors on their website, but maybe
I just didn't dig far enough.

wrote:
Hi Art,

You said you have "motorized vent flaps" on your skylights.
Did you get these installed (as an addition)? If so, where can I buy
them? Would appreciate a contact number for the company where you
bought them from and also the installer.

I called Velux and they said they have retractable shutters (motorized
or non-motorized, but basically to block sunshine). Are the "motorized
vent flaps" same as the retractable shutters?
I am thinking of having Velux installed retractable shutters as the two
skylights in the vaulted family room bring in sun directly on to my TV,
making it almost impossible to see anything on the screen (during
non-winter months).

TIA.

Art Todesco wrote:

I have 2 baths with Velox Lo E skylights
(about 4 square feet each) and
motorized vent flaps (no windows in
either). I haven't noticed any "cooler"
problems as long as the vent is closed.
These 2 baths are not that big.
However, even if open, the air tends to
go out, so it may produce a draft
of moving air, but not cold outside air.
I also have 2 of these same units
in the kitchen, however, as the kitchen
is open to 3 other rooms, I probably
wouldn't notice. BTW, also in the
Chicago Burbs.

SQLit wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

SQLit wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

I have 6 skylights in my house (12 year old house).
In trying to lower my heating bills, I am looking at all possible

ideas

to save.

I have noticed that the rooms with skylights are MUCH cooler than

other

rooms, making me conclude that heat is being lost through the
skylights.

How do I minimize this heat loss?

Why is there air?

Since you provide absolutely no information on your construction/type of
skylights and climate, I refer you back to my questions.

Sorry...here are some details:
The skylights are flat (not the bubble type). The brand, I believe, is
Velux.
I live in Chicago.
I have thought about getting plexiglass installed to the inside frame
but now concerned that it may not be a good idea since during summer,
the 'pocket' between the plexiglass and the skylight might get too hot.

Have you considered your idea as seasonal?
Plexi or plastic will warp and absorb a lot of light. A lot cheaper for one
season UV light eats the plastics over time and they will turn yellowish.