Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Surge Protectors

"twfsa" wrote in message
news:WgYrf.34068$Mi5.11108@dukeread07...
Is there a reliable low cost protector out there for my big screen tv and
DVD/VCR

Are the plug in strips worth a ****?

Thanks
Tom

The IEEE says if your going to install surge protection you need to protect
2 of the 3 zones. Zone 1 is out cause that is the utility. That leaves
Zones 2 and 3. Starting with your whole house surge protective device. It
has a let through of XXXX and then with the point of use protector it is an
incoming rating of YYYY. As long as the whole house let-through is less
than the point of use your as good as it gets, cheaply.

Your garage door opener my advise a surge protector as well as your
microwave and clothes washer/dryer mine all do.

The real problem is most of the cheapy stuff is based on MOV's, metal oxide
varistors. These are tested ONCE for UL. Not twice or 3 times. ONCE.
Do not forget to surge protect the coax, feeding your equipment.

Do you have a scope on your hunting rifle? What did you pay for the scope?