Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Default No power in one bedroom only

I use a multimeter -- very handy to have when trying to track down problems.
Ovbiously, you have an open in your circuit somewhere -- likely but not
necessiarly at one of the connectors. The reason this is usually a sign of
AL wiring is because over time the expansion of the AL wiring due to heating
will lossen even the tightest of connections. This "could" happen with CU
wiring or it could be a sign of a break in the wiring.

To check on the type of wiring you have you would need to check your breaker
panel. You may need an electrician if your not experienced in this. When I
checked my Dad's house I pulled the cover off the Breaker panel -- but I'm
an Electrical Engineer and a PE -- Unless you really know what you're doing
I would not recommend it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. To answer your questions...I
don't believe that there is aluminum wiring in that room. The wire
appears to be copper at the light switch and in the circuit breaker
panel. We haven't opened up the outlets yet, but I think we are ok on
the wiring. Everything in the room is out...overhead light and all
outlets. There is no GFCI on that room circuit. There is only one
GFCI in the house (that I know of) which is located in the bathroom
which is on the other side of the house to where the problem is. Just
for the heck of it though, I did trip the GFCI and reset it. The GFCI
outlet is working fine, and reseting it didn't seem to make a
difference. I've started working on the idea that the room is wired in
series and that the light switch or an outlet died. I still find it
strange that the circuit breaker didn't trip, but it does seem like the
most reasonable explaination. I do have one of those hot wire testers
that I going to dig up and test the outlets with (should have done that
first, but figured the whole room was out and it wouldn't tell me
anything). Thanks again...please let me know if anyone thinks of
anything else. I'll reply as to how the search goes...