Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Heat loss through skylight

wrote in message
oups.com...

SQLit wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 6 skylights in my house (12 year old house).
In trying to lower my heating bills, I am looking at all possible

ideas
to save.

I have noticed that the rooms with skylights are MUCH cooler than

other
rooms, making me conclude that heat is being lost through the
skylights.

How do I minimize this heat loss?

Why is there air?

Since you provide absolutely no information on your construction/type of
skylights and climate, I refer you back to my questions.

Sorry...here are some details:
The skylights are flat (not the bubble type). The brand, I believe, is
Velux.
I live in Chicago.
I have thought about getting plexiglass installed to the inside frame
but now concerned that it may not be a good idea since during summer,
the 'pocket' between the plexiglass and the skylight might get too hot.

Have you considered your idea as seasonal?
Plexi or plastic will warp and absorb a lot of light. A lot cheaper for one
season UV light eats the plastics over time and they will turn yellowish.